27/03/2018- Nebuchadnezzar; a true story

                       Nebuchadnezzar

    I watched her as I rode past and suddenly everything seemed to be in slow motion as if coaxing me to see and not just look. In that split second in which I was prompted to pay close attention, I saw her for the first time; with flowers in her hair, she exuded an unimaginable aura, speaking so confidently and although I could not see the face of the one she conversed with, I was sure he must have been enchanted by her eloquence. She stood gesticulating with so much passion, that I thought of what it would be like to be her even just for a minute. To see the world through her eyes and think her thoughts. Simply thinking about it made my heart pound with an unusual excitement.
 I was captivated by her hair; black ombred to brown, speckled with white that I reckon was associated with the hard times she went through, her skin was dark, darkened by the sun but her eyes, her eyes were different. No one could look at those eyes for long maybe for the fear that they would be seized, captured by what they gave. But I looked and I saw and I panicked. This was too much for me… way too much, I looked away.
     I look at her everyday as she sits and smokes by the sidewalk of the hospital.
I’ve watched her do her business and at one time I condemned her habit but that was before I saw what I saw and what I saw I couldn’t relay to another soul up until now. I saw a body, full of spirit, vigor, lust for life but her soul was trapped in another world. Maybe one parallel to the one in which we live in but she was lost, confused, tired and spent for she had used up all that was left and her essence was almost gone. She shivered inside, cold and afraid, scared of the darkness enveloping her. I saw this and I was scared because I couldn’t help her. Like the biblical king of Babylon, she consumed grass wrapped in paper, she was driven from men and her dwelling lay with the beasts of the field. I couldn’t take my mind off her from that day on. She was everywhere I went, in everyone I saw and I hoped I would see her again and when I saw her, I knew she would never look the same to me again. And I saw her and I felt something, something stronger than compassion, a mixture of emotions for she lay there on the burning hard ground, scorched by sun, a pile of bones and unsightly apparel, the center of attention. I looked and I saw and I was glad I had a companion with me this time because that prompted me to tell the story of a queen who went mad.


Comments

  1. Kindly Like, Share and subscribe if you please. More posts coming up.
    Ta Ta

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

28/03/18-Wedding night palaver 1

Curiosity killed the cat 🐈